This is a guest post by Mitz.
HOW TO CHOOSE GEMSTONES FOR HEALING
Note: All information for this article was obtained from http://www.gemisphere.com/. This website sells gemstone necklaces that include some made of multiple stones. They have unique names for these combinations, and I have included the names of the different stones where necessary. (If you choose to wear therapeutic necklaces such as the ones on the website mentioned above, it is not recommended you wear more than three at once, since they can provide the system with too many different energetic influences. Also, the necklaces should be worn at different lengths so their energies don’t compete with each other. Typically, the longer the necklace, the more potent the effect.)
We all have issues, both physical and emotional/mental. There are many ways of dealing with these issues, but one good way is via gemstone therapy. Our entire bodily system (physical, mental, emotional, etc.) is energy that shows up in various patterns. When these patterns are out of balance we experience problems. The entire natural world is built with these same patterns of energy, and the same materials (atoms, molecules, minerals, etc.). Nature will heal itself if it can. This is how gemstones can help us. Each stone resonates with a slightly different pattern; these same patterns reside in our bodies and minds. For example, holding a Rose Quartz up to our hearts, is to ask the structural patterns active in our thoughts and feelings (called “subtle bodies”) to align themselves. Any unresolved heart issues will be challenged to break up, allowing us to let go of whatever is distorting our energies.
There are 3 steps in determining which gemstones can aid you in healing:
- Choose the particular issue you need to address or goal you want to achieve.
- Determine the dimension of your being that is most involved with the issue or goal (e.g. physical, emotional, karmic, etc.).
- Focus your choice of stone(s) within that dimension.
TO IDENTIFY YOUR ISSUES:
- What conditions or issues keep coming up in my life?
- In which areas do I want the most support right now?
- How do I want to grow the most?
- Which areas of my life are most problematic?
Once you have answered these questions, the next step is to determine the dimension of your being that is most involved and choose the gemstone(s) for that area:
DIMENSIONS OF BEING AND CORRESPONDING GEMSTONES:
- Multidimensional Healing:
- Improve physical, mental, emotional, spiritual health
- Boost energy/vitality
- Bring more balance, grace, and harmony to life
- Increase flexibility in the body, emotions, and mind
- Enhance creativity
- Align and balance all chakras
- Enhance effects of another therapy
- Quartz, lavender, citrine, aquamarine, carnelian, ocean rainbow (ruby, carnelian, citrine, emerald, blue sapphire, indigo, amethyst, biwa pearl), lavender rainbow (ruby, carnelian, citrine, emerald, blue sapphire, indigo, amethyst, lavender)
- Physical Healing & Purification:
- Release toxins & negative energy stored in organs
- Support Immune System
- Resolve chronic/acute illness
- Relieve acute/chronic pain
- Increase energy/vitality
- Soothe body after trauma or surgery
- Emerald, summer (emerald, quartz, light green aventurine), dark green aventurine, light green aventurine, dark green emerine, light green emerine, malachite, patience (malachite, 14-K gold), bloodstone
- Karmic Healing & Resolution:
- Change self-destructive habits
- Climb out of a rut
- Develop healthier ways of relating to others
- Eliminate behavior patterns underlying an unwanted physical condition
- Break free of a patter of destructive relationships
- Align your dreams with your life-path
- GEMSTONES (usually orange stones)
- Rhodochrosite, magic gift (rhodochrosite, ruby, biwa pearl), libra ( rhodochrosite, quartz), opalight, pharoah (lapis lazuli, 14-K gold)
- Emotional Healing & Uplifting:
- Become more emotionally stable
- Soothe a wounded heart
- Release & resolve suppressed feelings
- Heal recent or longstanding grief
- Become more aware of deep feelings
- Experience & express diving love
- Ruby, ruby dream (ruby, quartz, roselle), ruby rose (ruby, roselle), roselle, rhodonite, radiant heart (rhodonite, roselle, mother of pearl, 14-K gold), mother of pearl
- Mental Clarity & Expansion:
- Increase mental clarity
- Focus more easily
- Bring more order into life
- Harmonize heart & mind
- Clear out mental “garbage”
- Improve memory
- Expand mind to it’s full potential
- Blue sapphire, lavender fire (blue sapphire, quartz, lavender), inner quest (blue sapphire, lavender, quartz), angelfire (blue sapphire, white coral), lapis lazuli, true self (lapis lazuli, lavender, 14-K gold), sodalight, blue phoenix (sodalight, quartz, 14-K gold), lavender light (sodalight, lavender, 14-K gold)
- Higher Consciousness & Spiritual Awakening:
- Let go of limiting attachments
- Open to higher states of consciousness
- Strengthen and clarify intuition
- Open to your inner source of wisdom
- Gain clarity about your true nature or purpose
- Amethyst, purple ray (amethyst, biwa pearl, 14-K gold), insight (amethyst, lavender, 14-K gold), indigo, breanna (purple rainbow fluorite, lavender, amethyst), purple eagle (purple rainbow fluorite, quartz, amethyst), fluorite rainbow (purple rainbow fluorite, lavender, ruby, carnelian, citrine, emerald, blue sapphire, indigo, amethyst), light stream (purple rainbow fluorite, lavender, ruby, carnelian, citrine, emerald, blue sapphire, indigo, amethyst)
- Masculine/Feminine Healing & Empowerment:
- For Women:
- Empower your feminine aspect
- Improve fertility
- Resolve a gynecological condition
- Relieve menstrual cramps
- Pink Tourmaline, rubelle
- For Men:
- Empower your masculine aspect
- Experience more courage, vigor and endurance
- Resolve an endocrine imbalance
- Enhance sexual energy
- Green Tourmaline
- For Both Women and Men:
- Strengthen and tone your reproductive system
- Restore or create harmony with a mate
- Green tourmaline for men, pink tourmaline and rubelle for women
- Protect yourself from other people’s negative thoughts and feelings
- Pink tourmaline and rubelle for both
- Healing & Nourishing with Earth Energies:
- Attract whatever your physical body needs for healing
- Feel more grounded and stable
- Accelerate or integrate the positive effects of other therapies
- Develop healthier personal boundaries
- Handle multiple tasks with greater ease
- Feel more energetic, positive, and joyful
- Agate, poppy jasper, leopardskin jasper, golden leopard (leopardskin jasper, 14-K gold), leopard magic (leopardskin jasper, opalight, riverstone, 14-K gold), riverstone, quartzite, onyx
So now that we know how to identify our issues and their corresponding dimensions of being, all we have to do is purchase the appropriate gemstone(s), and that’s that, right? Not exactly. Quality and size may matter. The higher the quality of a gemstone, the more potent it is. This is according to the website mentioned above, yet another site I visited said that quality doesn’t matter. So my suggestion is to purchase the highest quality stone you can afford, even if it is smaller, which brings us to size: more mass generally means greater power. However, gemstone spheres larger than 16 mm in diameter shouldn’t be used for therapeutic purposes. Such large spheres don’t resonate with human beings the way that smaller spheres do. In general it’s best to stick with spheres 12 mm or smaller.
Although some people believe that size and quality don’t matter, while others do, I think I’ve learned that the most important thing to remember when selecting a gemstone is to follow your instincts. Chances are the stone will select you, and above all else, remember that you must be open to this idea of healing in order for it to work.
To see a list of stones by ailment one good website is:
One last thing: it’s important to cleanse your gemstones before using them. They may contain vibrations from previous owners or handlers. One way to cleanse them is to place them in salt water. Submerge the stone in a mixture of sea salt and water in a glass bowl (never use metal) overnight. If it needs more thorough cleansing it can be left in the mixture for up to a week. Then rinse under cool running water and dispose of the mixture. Do not reuse the mixture as it will have absorbed the negative vibrations. Keep in mind that certain gemstones shouldn’t be soaked in salt water. Porous crystals, or stones that have a metal or water content, shouldn’t be soaked in salt water. Examples include opal, hematite, lapis lazuli and pyrite. Another way to cleanse a stone is to simply put it on top of or submerged in salt. Either sea salt or cooking salt will do. Leave for 24 hours and then rinse under cold running water. Again, do not reuse the salt – dispose of it. You can also cleanse stones using a method known as smudging. Using a smudge stick or incense (sage, sweet grass, or sandalwood are good choices), hold the stone in the smoke for 30 seconds to a minute. Once you have cleansed your stone, charge it, which empowers it with energy. Two popular methods are using the moon and sun. Either leave your stone out under a full moon for a night, or out in bright sunlight for a day. Finally, you can charge your stone through physical contact. It will naturally energize itself with vibrations from your body. The more you handle it, the more “yours” it will become.