3 Ways We Can Be the Person in the Mirror

Written by Guest Blogger on February 23rd, 2012

This is a guest post by William McKinley Veasley.

At times, many times in my life, I would wonder if I was “cool” enough. I wanted to be that guy all the girls chased and the same guy that all the other guys wanted to hang around. I started getting into fights because I thought it would boost my “cool points.” When my peers sagged their pants and tried to look like a thug, I was right there doing the same thing and trying to fit in with the crowd. If being “cool” meant that I had to “put other people down”, then that is exactly what I would do.

When I looked in the mirror, I was not looking at William and to tell you the truth, I do not know who I was looking at. Somewhere in the scheme of life, I lost touch with who I was and picked up bad habits. Luckily, I have found simple ways to get rid of the bad habits. They worked for me and they might just work for you!

The Pursuit of Happiness

You are no different from me, at least in the sense that we both desire happiness. We want to wake up on the “right” side of the bed every morning. We want to feel blessed while living on this earth. We wish that the everyday hassles would not ruin them.

I know, life can hit us with tough situations, but that is when we must look for the good within the bad because there is always something positive that can come out of any situation. Instead of focusing on the negatives, try focusing on the positives.

For instance, if someone close to your heart died, try not to go into deep depression because that would not be what they would of have wanted. In most cases, they would have wanted us to know that they are in a better place. We have the power to control our state of mind. If we want to be happy, we must always think positive!

Parents Have Wisdom!

We will never be our parents equal because they have spent more years on this earth. In our lives, everything that we have done our parents have been there and already done that. They have experience in many areas of life that we do not. It might be hard, but that is why we should listen when they talk.

One thing that I will never forget is how my father used to always tell me that association breeds assimilation. It meant that if I hung around negative people, eventually, but surely I would also develop a negative mindset.

As we are growing up, it is easy to become a follower without realizing it. We might not be able to see ourselves changing, but our parents can see everything crystal clear. They know us almost as well as we know ourselves, so before we listen to another person who knows next to nothing about us, we should talk to our parents because they will lookout for us when we cannot.

Alone Time Is Priceless

Life is crazy and the everyday difficulties of surviving take a lot of time. It can be hard to find time for ourselves, but that is the time we need most. In our alone time, we can actually do what we want!

For example, we can play video games, watch T.V shows, or even run around the house naked! Not that we should run around naked, but you get my point. The thoughts that we have come through our heads stronger and visions become clearer.

It is easy to focus on what is best for us when there is no one talking in our ear and telling us what they think is best for us. For that alone time, however long or short it may be, we can live our lives uninfluenced by the people around us and find a deeper connection with ourselves.

Last Words

Our lives change every day. We have our ups and downs. The good comes with the bad. No one is perfect and so no one is any better than anyone else. Happiness comes from enjoying the skin we are in and living every day with a positive attitude. Follow these tips and when you look in the mirror, you will know who you are looking at.

William McKinley Veasley is a young boy working hard to turn dreams into reality. He enjoys positively influencing other people’s lives through the words he can put on paper. Also, he has a kind heart and love for everyone big, wide, tall, small, or short. Follow him on Twitter

Share on TumblrSubmit to StumbleUponhttp://channelingmyself.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/man-looking-in-mirror-on-his-head-278x300.jpgDigg ThisSubmit to redditShare on Myspace

1. Hi William and Todd,

That’s right – everyone is exactly equal. Exactly. No one is “more equal” or better, period. Knowing that, it means we are responsible for setting an example and being our best selves in every moment. No room for being followers – we lead our own lives.
    Julie | A Clear Sign recently posted..It Must Be A Sign Of The Impending Apocalypse Or Maybe The Plagues Triggering The ExodusMy Profile

2. LOVE says:

Jesus gives us the opportunity to love him & self love so that we may love others. In the 32 years of my life, God always humbles me when I think I know someone’s heart or intentions. Love is a gift from God we should cherish it especially our children he lent to us for a time! :)

3. Justin Mazza says:

Hi William,
    I learned in my early 20′s that we become our peer group. After I learned that I became more conscious of who I spent time with and who I wanted to be friends with as well.
    Justin Mazza recently posted..Stuck In a Rut? Stop Acting Like a 4-Year-OldMy Profile

4. Hey Julie,

You are absolutely right! Instead of us focusing on being the best at at another person, we should focus on being us the best that we can. We might be blind, but everyone has their own problems. They might be visible from the surface, but they are there. Since no one is perfect, we should just be happy with who we are.

God bless,
    William Veasley

5. Catwoman says:

Great post,and I totally agree with Julie, there aren’t more equal people on the planet. We all have the same blood, we all breathe the same air. No one is special (from this view), no one is wronger than others.

• Catwoman: Thank you for the kind words! I really like what you just said! We all bleed the same blood and breath the same air. Someone might look like they do not have any problems in their life, but they learned how to overcome them. When times get tough, which they always will, we must always keep our heads up high.

Wish you the best!

God bless,
      William Veasley
      William Veasley recently posted..BoyVeasley: Smile! http://t.co/wCwHiHil via @BoyVeasley & @SrinivasYReddyMy Profile

6. veehcirra says:

Hi William,

I especially like that you mentioned the alone time.This is actually the most important time for me, as I get to be with me for some few sacred moments. Little breaks from time to time can be very rejuvenating.

Veeh

• Veehcirra: Yes, alone time can be very, very rejuvenating. I have learned to love and really value my alone time. I enjoy being around my friends, but when I am alone that is when I really get some work done. It seems like there is always something that needs to be done that keeps our time limited . . .

Hope you drop back by Channeling Myself!

God bless,
      William Veasley
      William Veasley recently posted..BoyVeasley: 3 Ways We Can Be the Person in the Mirror? – http://t.co/daCltWDM via @chanelingmyself & @BoyVeasleyMy Profile

• Rudzana says:

Craig Posted on I don’t know if 8 hours of utility there’s much or not. But I wodlun’t buy a HP mini laptop, because first of all it’s more expensive than a normal dimensioned laptop.Not running modern games on high detail settings is a bad point also.

Twitter: KWbzwQejFy

7. Hi William,

Thanks for the great post. I really liked the list you came up with. All the items you mentioned are very important, especially finding and getting some alone time. I have 3 kids and you don’t know how important this can be.
    Todd | Channelingmyself recently posted..Lions and Tigers and 2012, OH MY!My Profile

• Todd: No, man thank you for having me here and the opportunity!
      I have and older brother and he has three kids also. It seems like he never has any time to his self because just when he gets some free time, something else will be wrong or someone will be calling his name. He works hard to make the best of his time and I admire him for that.
      Our alone time can be long or short, but we must always find some in our daily life. It will help us keep a clear mind.

Keep working hard man!

God bless,
      William Veasley

8. Danyelle Franciosa says:

Hello William, I am happy to read this. You are actually right that everyday in our lives are always changing and every good things happen there is always bad afterwards. You did a great article and I learn a lot.

• Danyelle: Yup, our lives can change in the blink of an eye, but hopefully that does not happen. I always hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. There have been many times that my life changed before I could even understand. I am not saying that I can always be ready, but I will be in a position where I can help myself or another that needs it.

Just my two cents!

God bless,
      William Veasley

9. Julie says:

Such a nice and inspiring article! My parents will be always the only ones who can give me motivation all along my life. They’ve always supported me anything I’ve done.
    Julie recently posted..dentists in londonMy Profile

• Julie: Thanks for the kind words! I feel the same as you because I will always go to my parents for motivation, at least before I go to another person. I have more faith that my parents will send me in the right direction then I have for anyone else.
      Honestly, my parents are the only people on this earth that I trust one hundred percent and for that I am blessed!

Is there anyone that you trust as much as your parents?

God bless,
      William Veasley
      William Veasley recently posted..BoyVeasley: Changing Frowns Into Smiles – http://t.co/wCwHiHilMy Profile

10. Nicole Schuman says:

So true! This is so very informative. And I really agree that parents have wisdom because parents knows best.. :)

11. Elena Anne says:

Hello William for sharing your experience. I used to be someone else for 3 years. Having been influenced by my boyfriend, I had another state of mind. I came to fight with my family and friends without any particular reason. One day I woke up and said who am I? Then I made a long journey myself and when I came back I had already taken the right decisions.It is good to be YOU!
    Elena Anne recently posted..Epsom Salt: Bath & BeyondMy Profile

12. Hi Todd nice to see this page, this is really helpful and to be honest this is my first time to know about this…
    Fatima Hipolito recently posted..CZ 858My Profile

13. Laura says:

Great post! As a matter of fact, I had a meditation section yesterday, working with picturizing myself in my imaginatory mirror. It worked out very well, I could reach down to my inner me, and understood what I should be working on.
    Laura recently posted..Easter is hunting me down…My Profile

14. Steve Rice says:

Awesome post, William! I’m so grateful to have connected to you online.

“It is easy to focus on what is best for us when there is no one talking in our ear and telling us what they think is best for us.” – This is my fav part of ur article. So many times we get stuck in chasing someone else’s view of how our lives should be and we forget to live our own.

Thanks for this awesome encouragement today. Needed it.
    Steve Rice recently posted..Mouth-Open, Tongue-Flapping, Ears-Waving-in-the-Wind Dream Chasin’My Profile

Twitter: stevenerice

• Steve: I am happy that you took the time to share your thoughts! It is hard for us to focus on ourselves, but it is even harder when people are always telling us what to do and how to do it. In life, we have to make our own mistakes because that is that only way we will learn. We might bump our heads a few times, but what does not kill us will only make us stronger.
      There is nothing easier than being ourselves, but many times we loose sight of who we are because of peers, T.V, and the internet. The best time to figure out what to do with our life is when we are alone and in peace.

Is it hard for you to find alone time? Do you make good use of that time?

Wish you best!

God bless,
      William Veasley
      William Veasley recently posted..BoyVeasley: Values – Change your life today! – http://t.co/FToM0jjZMy Profile

15. Tricia says:

I am really agree that this kind of post is really nice..Thanks for sharing this to us..

16. Sheila says:

This is my fav part of ur article. So many times we get stuck in chasing someone else’s view of how our lives..It gives a lot of motivation in my life..

17. Chezzianne says:

It is better if you accept who you are and you have to remember that you should not be envy and wish you are other person…Love your own…

18. Samantha32 says:

Confidence with in your self is the best way to attain every goals in life, not seeking and comparing your self with others do…

19. Sasa02 says:

I love your words at the last part. And I agree on that, we all have ups and downs, we can learn how to be the person what we wanted to be, but in the end of the day, we are still we. Our looks can be change but our characters and attitude can’t be change in just a glimpse of our eyes.

• Sasa: I have to say that I do not completely agree with you because we cannot be another person as much as we might try. We can come close but it is impossible to be another person better then they can be themselves. That is my reasoning for never trying to be like anyone else. I take qualities from people that can teach me a thing or two, but other than that, I stick to being William. I might not be liked, I might not have very many friends, and I might not be best looking, but that is okay because I am happy with who I am and what I do have.
      We can change ourselves, but at some point in time, things will begin to “crash” because lies only last so long.

Have you ever noticed yourself slowly, but surely changing into someone else?

How is today going for you?

God bless,
      William Veasley

20. Elena: I think it is probably a bit harder not to be influenced by the people that we love and care about. You were around him a lot I am sure and so it would be natural to pick up some of his traits.If he tended to get angry and fight then you probably picked it up from being on the defense.
    I had a first cusin that was a mood killer. He would always have something negative to say about himself or somebody else. Usually, it was about somebody else though. I had to cut him out of my life and ever since that very moment, I know I did the right thing for myself. My life has been a hundred times better!

Anyways, how is today going for you?

I hope all is well!

God bless,
    William Veasley

21. Emily says:

Finding alone times for parents with small children is very difficult. God bless the toilet time! :) Awesome words!
    Emily recently posted..Dentist filing down your healthy teeth? It is outrageous!My Profile

22. Peter says:

I think your environment has a huge factor of influence. When you’re always exposed to the same energy of people, day in and day out, you will take on bits and pieces of this energy. It’s unavoidable.

That’s why it’s so important to have positive and uplifting friends, and generally a supportive environment – than can be people or also just the place you’re living in. :)
    Peter recently posted..Are You Selfish?My Profile

23. I ma not sure if my comment posted, so I’ll try again. William, you gave very good advice. I think you’re cool, btw! It is important to listen to ourselves & not to follow others just to fit in. Check out my article “Walk This Way,” as I think you will enjoy it. :-)

Nicole
    Nicole Luongo recently posted..Walk This WayMy Profile

24. Samantha says:

A soul looking out. Does this make sense? I see a question when I look in the mirror. Is this truly me… I think thats what I wond..

25. sandy says:

Hey William,

You are just writing about the truth here,I really enjoyed this post,and I just want to thank you for the share
    Sandy!
    sandy recently posted..How To Get Back links To Your Blog Today And Learn WhyMy Profile

26. Kelsey87 says:

Hi William! this is a very inspiring post to read and i agree with you. This will give a lot of motivation and i really learn so much on you. Looking forward to read more from you. Thanks!

27. Jayne Kopp says:

Hi William, what a beautiful post. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

You know, I definitely agree in a huge way that alone time is necessary. I am a real loner… although I have lots of friends… there are days I just like to spend doing ‘whatever’…

I think it’s healthy to be honest.

I also agree we must develop our own person and not follow the crowds.

Wonderful!

Jayne
    Jayne Kopp recently posted..How to be Happy With Yourself | Do You Put YOU First?My Profile

28. Jaclyn says:

I love this post, very inspiring and I loved reading it. I hope I can read more from you.

29. Chrissie says:

Great call, I wish I could go back 15 years and listen more to my parents. Its the classic saying of youth is wasted on the young.
    Chrissie recently posted..Internet TV SoftwareMy Profile

30. anny says:

Hi William, I compliment you on a beautiful post. However as someone who could have been your grandmother I would like to advise you: certainly listen to your parents but do carefully weigh their advice in your heart. Just because they have been around longer than you have does not automatically mean that they are wiser. I have met old people who never learned a thing in their life and young people like you who pick up wisdom very early in life. This is a very special time and you cannot automatically assume any more that your parents already have done everything you are doing now. I have done things that my parents never even could dream about, and the same is valid for my children and grandchildren. You all face things the previous generation never even had to think about in their time, as is also the case the other way around. So we should share experiences, talk about them with eachother but never, ever, tell the next generation – or your parents for that matter – what to do.

Love,

Anny

31. Shantha says:

16a12b352c0hello there and thank you for your information e28093 I have cerlainty picked up anything new from right here. I did however expertise some technical issues using this web site, as I experienced to reload the website lots of times previous to I could get it to load correctly. I had been wondering if your web host is OK? Not that I am complaining, but slow loading instances times will sometimes affect your placement in google and can damage your high-quality score if ads and marketing with Adwords. Anyway Ie28099m adding this RSS to my email and could look out for a lot more of your respective intriguing content. Make sure you update this again very soon.. 187

Twitter: lrZgxEiIzNC