The Reincarnation Conundrum

Written by Todd | Channelingmyself on June 18th, 2011

When I first started this blog I set out with the intention to hopefully either answer or gain better insight into some of life’s most compelling questions.  One of these questions I feature on the main title of my home page, why are we really here? It was during this same time frame that I finally accepted the belief in reincarnation which opened a whole new door of wonder and intrigue.  Like many of you, I have often questioned what the reasoning or purpose was for my soul to reincarnate to this life.  In fact, I often find myself contemplating why any of us would choose to reincarnate to this world.  What would be the reasoning for leaving the spiritual realm for a life in the physical realm?  I have to admit that I’m pretty ignorant of Eastern religions so you must understand that my knowledge of reincarnation basically stems from New Age spirituality beliefs.  However, I have heard the basic ideas that a soul reincarnates to this world for life lessons, certain experiences, soul contracts, or possibly to work towards enlightenment.

My understanding of reincarnation is that our souls survive the physical death and return to the spiritual realm, where ever that may be.  What happens to our souls after death still remains a mystery to me, the skeptic, but I am open to many of the New Age beliefs offering explanations.  Nevertheless, the theory goes that life in the spiritual realm is pretty freaking good, spirits have the ability to manifest anything they wish in an instant or to go anywhere at any time.  It is also said that all knowledge from previous lives is remembered in the sprit realm and answers to life’s most perplexing questions are easily attainable, if not already known.  Death, I’ve heard, is like waking from a dream to find yourself safe again back home.  Not surprisingly, another tidbit of information that I find to be rather puzzling is that some spirits supposedly have incarnated to the physical world only to be so traumatized by the experience that another reincarnation is never done again and they remain in the spiritual realm.  If everything we read about the afterlife is actually true then what would be the motive for a soul to leave that posh existence to come here?

Souls are said to be able to choose what life scenario to reincarnate into, choosing the parents and the era which they will live in.  One concept that I have trouble understanding is that time is not linear, meaning that past lives are not literally in the past but are all happening at the same time.  Apparently, I could be living other lives at this moment yet in different times in history, in our frame of reference.  It is really a hard concept to try to grasp, let alone explain, but all that matters for the sake of this discussion is that souls can choose certain life circumstances when they reincarnate.  For example, when this current life of mine is complete I can choose to reincarnate again and experience life in the medieval ages, or perhaps a time in the future still unknown to us.

Recently I was reading a post by Justin Mazza on Mazzastick.com titled “Quit Your 9 To 5 End The Grind.”  Justin’s post got me to really contemplating those same old questions again as to why would I choose to reincarnate to this life.  It was something he said in his post that really resonated with me, “At some point in our lives we realized that the 9 to 5, work five days a week model is broken. We didn’t incarnate on earth to work 40 or more hours a week, retire at 65 and spend our retirement years hanging out at McDonald’s.” Damn right Justin!  Many of you may have come to this realization, like I have, and halted in your tracks wondering just what in the hell is going on here.  Is this it?  Did I come here just to exist and get by………..wash, rinse, repeat for the next xx years?  And here is the disturbing thing to me; I and many of you reading this don’t have it that bad, in fact, life is probably fairly easy comparatively speaking.  Imagine the soul who chose to reincarnate as a starving child in Africa, or one who is suffering a debilitating disease.  Now those people I can definitely see thinking, why in the world did I reincarnate to this life for?  However, regardless of the life situation one is in we can all find ourselves wondering about such questions.

Many books have been written about reincarnation and attempt to give explanations for why souls choose to reincarnate to this world.  Heck, I could even come up with several theories to those questions; however, this post would probably end up being an e-book by the time I was done.  Ironically, what I have accepted is that my questions may never be answered to my absolute satisfaction.  What I must focus on now is not necessarily why all souls in general come to this world, but why I specifically did.  Going back to what Justin said in his post, I know that I was destined for something much better than what I am currently experiencing.  There must be a reason why I stopped in the middle of the “race” only to reevaluate and try to discover a new path to the finish line.  And while this question is still eluding me, I can find comfort in knowing that if I search within myself and stop relying on books to provide the answers, my life’s purpose will eventually reveal itself to me.

Unlike most of my other posts where I am offering suggestions or explanations to life’s mysteries, or perhaps some words of encouragement, this post still leaves me, and possibly you, still wondering.  I would like to invite you into this discussion of reincarnation, any ideas or personal experiences are welcome.  I would love to know what all of my readers feel about reincarnation, more importantly if you have discovered your life’s purpose.

Share on TumblrSubmit to StumbleUponhttp://channelingmyself.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/pastliveskitty-300x199.jpgDigg ThisSubmit to redditShare on Myspace

1. I am not sure you exactly have a Life’s Purpose, per se. The Purpose might be more in the day to day…along the lines of “you can shine a light wherever you go.” I do notice one very interesting thing – people are “waking up” along the lines of Justin’s article and yours. He did, you did, I did. What did we wake up for, is the big unanswered question at the moment, because wherever you go, people are saying,”Hmmm…I just woke up, but I have no idea what for.” People are also getting really intensive downloads…but they can’t pinpoint what “work” was done on them…just that it happened. I guess we are all in a stage of watchful waiting.

Honestly, I don’t know if all of this that you refer to as “new age” is a lot of crap. The only thing I can say for sure is that there are indeed intelligent spirits around us, giving us information (and I only can say this for sure because I experience it all the time).
    Julie | A Clear Sign recently posted..It’s One Free Intuitive Question and Answer Week!My Profile

• Todd says:

Hi Julie,

I agree that there is an awakening taking place and hopefully we will become more enlightened as to what is really going on. What I’ve read about reincarnation is that we come here for a reason, now that reason may be just to experience life in this era or there could be a more specific reason, say to know what being a father is like. If you are interested I would suggest visiting the site http://www.channelingerik.com, there is some fascinating stuff on that site that has really helped me with my spiritual awakening. Your comments are always appreciated, thanks Julie.

2. Hi Todd,
    I am humbled that you mentioned me in your post. Thank You my friend.

My opinion on reincarnation is that souls have to incarnate into the physical in order to make changes here for the better.

In spirit we can’t change physical life as easily as we can while physical.

You are obviously a “lightworker” if you don’t mind the term. When you see someone starving in Africa or someone living with a horrible disease you see it as a call to action to enact change in those areas.

Incarnating on earth is like volunteering for the military. We feel a strong need to do this. I don’t think anyone on the other side put a gun to our head and made us come here.

The challenge for many is, why did we come here. Our soul/intuition will be our guide.
    Justin | Mazzastick recently posted..5 Ways To Prevent Rejection From Ever Affecting YouMy Profile

• Todd says:

Hi Justin,

I am glad to mention you in my posts, your writing has really helped me shed some light on areas that were once grey. Why we came here will always remain a mystery until we cross over and remember the reasons. I like your reference to coming here and comparing it to joining the military, it’s like a service to the greater cause. Thanks again for your thought provoking comments.

• Kenya says:

“Our soul and intuition will be our guide” …like that.
      Kenya recently posted..Have You Asked Your Angels About ThatMy Profile

Twitter: psychicjazz

3. Kenya says:

Congratulations! Welcome to the ‘awakening’…Todd, what I like about your blog, is that you take nothing at face value. At first, when I was introduced to spirituality, I saw all the New Age concepts and tried to piece everything together…it was only when I started asking the Divine for clarity and assistance, is when I started to actually have a better understanding about what it is I am here to do. I have received messages through dream states, and these message have been often recomfirmed through other ways as well. The more I started trusting the Divine (‘that’ which is awakening us), the more I had no need at all to gather books about this and that and the less I had questions. (if that makes any sense).
    Kenya recently posted..Have You Asked Your Angels About ThatMy Profile

Twitter: psychicjazz

• Todd says:

Hi Kenya,

I agree with what you say about the awakening and not needing books to answer my questions. When I had my last psychic reading one of my guides communicated the same message. We need to search within ourselves to find the answers. I feel the biggest obstacle I have, and possibly many others is that I have trouble listening to my intuition and what my higher self is telling me. I know I have blockages to remove, it’s just figuring out how to do that. Thanks again Kenya for your comments.

4. Oh Wow Todd. There’s so much I want to say. you know I can write prolifically, but I’ll try to restrain myself… :) Here’s my take:
    We chose to be here. We wanted to come. We couldn’t wait to come. We’re here for the experience of it, the pure joy of it. Nothing else.
    Our soul part isn’t separate from us, we’re always connected to it. It’s the biggest part of us. I believe it was Gary Zukav who explained it as a mother ship with all these little ships floating around it. The little ships are our lives, the mother ship is our soul. And yeah, I also believe it’s all happening at the same time, but we don’t really have to be aware of that.
    I just got a really poignant question today about why we would choose to be born into a 3rd world country or into horrible situations, and I plan to write a blog post (or maybe a series) answering that very soon. It’s a huge subject. Your questions are just another sign for me to get on with that one. :)

Hugs and keep asking these amazing questions!!

Melody
    Melody | Deliberate Receiving recently posted..How I Got Rid of Pain Using the Law of AttractionMy Profile

• Todd says:

Hi Melody,

Thanks for your input, I really like the mothership connection to our souls. I can see why we would come for the pure joy of the experience, I just don’t understand how we lose that desire over the course of our lives, well at least some do. I’ll be looking forward to reading your post regarding this topic. Thanks again for your valuable comments.

5. This is a heavy post, but one that I am fairly certain everyone has thought about before. I end up thinking that either way, I need to focus on the now and make it everything I need for this life.

So here’s to hoping the rest of my lives are this good! :)
    David | Almost Bohemian recently posted..Bare Necessities for the EverymanMy Profile

• Todd says:

Hi David,

Good advice, don’t complicate things keep your focus on this life and everything else will take care of itself. Your comments are always appreciated.

6. Meg says:

I have lost two family members in the last 6 months. If anything this experience has opened my eyes to show many things about death. I like to think that both my grandfather and my father are with me still. I think they give me signs that they are. Just yesterday, we had a service for my grandfather at the cemetery. He always told us he didn’t want us to do anything when he passed. The second I walked up to his graves, the sprinklers turned on. I think it was him telling me…. “I told you not to do anything.” Crazy. Death is such a phenomenon that I don’t think I will ever understand. I do however like to look at as a celebration!

Twitter: onelovemeg

• Todd says:

Hi Meg,

Sorry to hear about your losses, but I think you are taking the right approach. I’m certain your family members are with you and paying you visits. Sounds like your grandfather is quite the prankster!

7. elpidio says:

I believe why we are existing in this word is to glorify God and having a wonderful fellowship with Him, when SIN is not yet enter on this planet.That’s the purpose the God of universe wants us. Plants and animals can’t do that or even other living things.We as a people of God created in His own image has a desire to Worship Him as I early mention in my article.
    elpidio recently posted..What does it mean to live in the fear of the Lord?My Profile

Twitter: egarimbao

8. Annette Wilson says:

So God created man in his own image, Which consisted both in the form of his body, and the erect stature of it, different from all other creatures; in agreement with the idea of that body, prepared in covenant for the Son of God, and which it was therein agreed he should assume in the fulness of time; and in the immortality of his soul, and in his intellectual powers, and in that purity, holiness, and righteousness in which he was created; as well as in his dominion, power, and authority over the creatures, in which he was as God’s viceregent, and resembled him. The Jerusalem Targum is,

the Word of the Lord created man in his likeness; even that Word that was in the beginning with God, and was God, and in time became incarnate, by whom all things were made, John 1:1.

9. Interesting post! I’ve been wondering a lot about reincarnation lately too.

What I’ve discovered thus far has led me to believe that the illusion lies in ‘goals’ themselves.

Being as present as possible leads to great contentment in any situation.

Therefore, my aim is to be as present as possible. Life goals are of secondary importance for me now. Inner peace, on the other hand, is primary.
    Personal Development recently posted..I’m Back – and More Spiritual Than Ever!My Profile

Twitter: fredtracy

• Todd says:

Hi Fred,

I think I can relate to where you are coming from. Just be in the now and let the goals fall into place. Thanks for your insightful comment.

10. Thanks for sharing this.
    It’s a very interesting topic to read.
    Andrew Walker recently posted..Registry Mechanic CouponMy Profile

11. Mika Castro says:

Its great to discuss Reincarnation beliefs. I believe on this because i am a Hindu.
    Mika Castro recently posted..הדרכת הוריםMy Profile