GM Food Awareness

Written by Todd | Channelingmyself on May 1st, 2011

How many of you reading this post realize what kinds of food are genetically modified?  Rice, soybeans, sugar cane, tomatoes, corn, sweet corn, and canola are just some of the foods that are genetically modified; to see the complete list click on this link.  The three biggest GM foods corn, soybeans and canola can be found in most grocery items at your local supermarket. If you don’t believe me try reading the ingredients list on the back of a common food item you buy at the store.  Unfortunately, most people don’t realize that they consume some type of GM food each and every day.  For those of us who are conscious shoppers and read labels to avoid certain ingredients like aspartame or MSG avoiding GM foods isn’t as simple.  Buying strictly organic isn’t even a guarantee to completely avoid GM food since organic food can contain up to 5% GMOs by law.

“If people let government decide what foods they eat, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

In a recent poll from the New York Times Opinion Pages 89% of the people questioned stated they wanted products with GMOs in them to be labeled. If so many Americans want GM foods to be labeled then why are food producers and regulators fighting to keep this from happening? Easy, they understand the concept of buyer choice and the power the consumers have to affect profits. If food was properly labeled with the GM ingredients it contained most Americans would be able to make an informed choice and probably avoid those items altogether. Profits would decline and company executives would suffer if we consumers chose not to put GMOs into our bodies. I know I must be heartless to even consider taking money from millionaires for the sake of my health. I just watched this documentary called “Poison on the Platter” and found out some alarming information when it comes to the United States, compared to other countries, stance on GM food. Please take a moment to watch the videos below and visit the links I have provided to become more aware of the GM food crisis.

Institute For Responsible Technology

GM Watch

Edit:

I would like to add this additional link I came across after I wrote this post.

Above Top Secret

Share on TumblrSubmit to StumbleUponhttp://www.bigberkeywaterfilters.com/affiliates/track/imp/banners/1124_3Digg ThisSubmit to redditShare on Myspace

1. I don’t believe in genetically modifying foods at all. It will lead to us being genetically modified as well. We are what we eat.

Franken-Foods are a bad idea in general.
    Justin | Mazzastick recently posted..Moving Forward By Facing The Truth About OurselvesMy Profile

• Todd says:

I think it is pretty sad that most of the foods we eat anymore contain GMOs. Here in the US corn and soy is in almost everything. I do my best to avoid GM food and shop at health food stores. Thanks for the comment.

2. This stuff is frightening to me. I just watched this documentary/film about a 15 year old boy who takes on these GMO companies. It is awful to see our society going this way…

• Todd says:

I agree, they are only concerned about making bigger profits and don’t give a crap about our health. Thanks for the comment.

3. This isn’t something I’ve done a ton of study about, but I think it’s a pretty bad idea to consume anything that’s been manufactured or altered in a lab.

Of course, that may not always be true. If we can get the hang of this whole GM thing, we could make some pretty incredible stuff.

Only time will tell I suppose.
    Personal Development recently posted..How to Breathe From Your DiaphragmMy Profile

Twitter: fredtracy

• Todd says:

I agree Fred, I don’t like the idea of eating anything that has had DNA manipulation. Just too risky for me.

4. Wow, Todd! I’m ashamed to say that I haven’t been conscious of the GM issue at all! Thankfully, I don’t think this happens here in the Central Andes.

We buy from local farmers because we live in a pretty isolated valley. =) It means we don’t get a lot of choice, but we do get deliciously healthy fruits and vegetables, especially potatoes. =)

Wish I could send them to you! =) I’ve heard that there are over 100 different kinds of potatoes here! =)
    Samantha Bangayan recently posted..A Kreativ Blogger in the Central AndesMy Profile

• Todd says:

Thanks for the comment, Samantha. I’m not real certain about the GM issue in other parts of the world but I do know here is the United States there is a real crisis. I am glad to hear that you get to buy from local farmers, hopefully those farmers seed hasn’t been contaminated by Monsanto.

Me and my wife like to shop at farmer’s markets in the summer time but during the winter months we have to buy our produce from the market. Fortunately, there are certain markets in our city that offer organic produce.

5. Hi Todd,

So good that you are bringing this to attention. I didn’t watch these videos (slow line land) but can recommend the film “The World According to Monsanto”. Very illuminating — and disturbing.

I also ended up researching a lot on my own after getting a skin rash soon after going vegan and eating a lot of tofu.

Awareness is an essential first step. Thanks so much.
    Patti Foy | Lightspirited Being recently posted..Introducing My New Life-Shifting Service- EmergenceMy Profile

• Todd says:

Hi Patty, thanks for the comment. I will definitely check out that film. You might also like these documentaries, Food Inc — Food Matters — The Future of Food – King Corn — Killer at Large: Why Obesity is America’s Greatest Threat

6. I think this is a very serious issue and I’ve been trying to educate myself on it. One problem has been misinformation – “natural” foods from health food places may be full of GMOs. Another problem is that we don’t have the right to know what is in our food in the US. I have no problem eating foods that are selectively bred for certain properties, while having a big problem with genes inserted from foods I am allergic to.
    Jennifer Barry recently posted..Seoul SeekerMy Profile

• Todd says:

Thanks for stopping by and commenting Jennifer. My family and I shop at natural food markets and we still end up eating GM foods. Soy and corn is in almost everything these days. Going organic is about the safest bet but still that can be rather costly for a family on a budget.

• Simar says:

Yarn Bombed. Because trees should have them, even if it’s not Christmas. Taken the monirng of Heather and Chris’ wedding, just before Simi and I got brunch. Speaking of Heather & Chris, I’m hoping to

Twitter: RBMNpEapfuKiadxziL

7. Kenya says:

Just watch the movie Food Inc. Much awareness about this is on there as well. I do try to buy organic and try to avoid GMO’s all together.
    Kenya recently posted..Divine Flow as Psychic Abilities GrowMy Profile

Twitter: psychicjazz

• Todd says:

Hi Kenya,

I’ve seen Food Inc it is a must see documentary. In our family we do our best to buy organic and avoid GM food whenever possible. Thanks for the recommendation.

8. van025 says:

I shocked with news about GM food crisis.Controling it is not really simple.
    van025 recently posted..איך להיכנס לפגישה אצל רופא בכירMy Profile

• Todd says:

Thanks for the comment. I agree, controlling this problem seems monumental. However, if consumers at least demand labeling that will at least be a step in the right direction.

9. Kenya says:

Yeah…there’s so much more to this than meets the eye. Guess it may be best to just grow our own gardens and call it a day…lol. Not trying to make light of the serious side of all this. I feel awareness is the most important factor…like you are doing here on this post…If everybody was aware and really considered all the factors and stopped supporting these companies…they would all be shut down ;-)
    Kenya recently posted..Divine Flow as Psychic Abilities GrowMy Profile

Twitter: psychicjazz

10. Meg says:

I love the Thomas Jefferson quote. It is so true. If we let the government feed us we are all going to die at a very young age. We will see it drastically hit certain generations. It is amazing to me what we allow in our grocery stores and also how naive people can be about the food they put in their mouths. I guess this is how we teach people right? One Love!

Twitter: onelovemeg

• Todd says:

Thanks for the comment Meg. Hopefully people will start to become more aware of what is being put in their food. Consumers have the power, it just takes us standing together.

11. Hi Todd. Thanks for sharing this. Nowadays, not many people are still considering any awareness for foods.
    Andrew Walker recently posted..ModernNursery Gift CodeMy Profile

12. I will recommend not to hold off until you get enough amount of money to buy different goods! You should just take the business loans or just bank loan and feel fine